Good With Style isn’t about buying your way to being a better person, and my Eco-Chic books aren’t just about being eco-friendly. My message is about practicing conscious consumerism, mindful living, and making educated decisions when it comes to buying your clothes, choosing your food, going on vacation, purchasing home decor, and living your life. It’s about following the righteous path, the kinder path, and avoiding what Siddhartha calls “the false path.”
Bit most of all, it’s about feeling better about ourselves because we know that we’re making choices that aren’t just good for the world, but are good for ourselves.
There is an easier and gentler way to live in this consumer world–and being conscious of what you spend your money and time on can have positive results for your life and your emotional well-being.
In this crazy time, we need to be more mindful about our motives, are we buying things to fit in, to feel better, or because we’re just following the rules of the game? Believe me I am far from perfect when it comes to frugal living, but that really is the goal. Thanks for being open to new ways to live.
Here are 6 ways to make your impact more positive:
- ENERGY SAVINGS LED is a highly energy efficient lighting technology, and has the potential to fundamentally change the future of lighting in the United States. Residential LEDs — especially ENERGY STAR rated products — use at least 75% less energy, and last 25 times longer, than incandescent lighting. Widespread use of LED lighting has the greatest potential impact on energy savings in the United States. By 2027, widespread use of LEDs could save about 348 TWh (compared to no LED use) of electricity: This is the equivalent annual electrical output of 44 large electric power plants (1000 megawatts each), and a total savings of more than $30 billion at today’s electricity prices. source: http://www.instructables.com/id/100-Ways-to-Reduce-Your-Impact/
- SMILE MORE. Maya Angelou said “People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Sometimes a smile can literally turn a frown of a day upside down.
- SAVE YOUR PENNIES. ClarityMoney.com allows individuals to clean up their financial life by identifying wasteful spending (subscruptions you don’t remember you sighed-up for). And we all know what an “impulse buy” is an how they can chip away at our emotional well-being–Clarity can help you record “impulse saves” (deciding not to buy those shoes, drinking home-brewed coffee), and even share with a savings partner to create a virtuous circle. Recently acquired by Goldman Sachs, Clarity is still a standalone app for now.
- RIDE YOUR BIKE. Despite gas prices rising by up to 20% from last year, 36.6 million Americans will take a road trip this Memorial Day weekend. Sometimes only a car will do, but more often than not we can easily get around our day on our bicycle. You can take that money you save from not filling up the tank and send it to a worthy cause like World Bicycle Relief. When you provide a bicycle to someone in need, it is empowering in ways that amplify over time. It gives people the chance to make make choices. And over time, bicycles can enrich the lives of children, households and entire communities.
- EAT BETTER FOOD. From pick-your-own berry patches to CSA’s (Community Supported Agriculture) to local farms in your area, fresh, in-season, organic, sustainable food is just a click away. Also, you can look for local co-ops that you didn’t even know existed before like this one.
- MEDITATE. Yeah, I know, you thought meditation was just for the person doing it. It’s actually a powerful way to send your energy into the world–we are powerful beyond our wildest imagination, and when you give your body and mind time and space to gather, the energy you send to the world is something everyone around you will feel and respond to. Think of it like the ripple effect–your positive vibes radiate to every person you encounter on any given day–let’s say that’s 50 people. Or even 10 people. Then those people potentially send positive energy to the world. See how powerful you are?